We are not planning on adding new APIs to OpenGL ES 1.0 or OpenGL ES
1.1.

Have you looked at the existing glColor4x API? It is a fixed point
version of glColor4 that is specific to OpenGL ES, and I think it acts
pretty similarly to glColor4ub in many cases.

I'm also curious what your use case is -- most OpenGL ES programs
don't call glColor4 very often.