Have you looked at the Dev Guide at all?
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/dialogs.html

If you want to literally not have the function that brings up the dialog
return until the dialog is closed, you're in for some trouble. That's not
the way the Android UI works. There was lengthy discussion about that
earlier. Search for block ui thread.