Dear anyone,

1) I am wondering if someone can shed a light on this. As I understand
it, Settings.Secure.HTTP_PROXY cannot be modified unless the
application has been signed by the platform certificate; does this
mean that it is up to the phone manufacturer (in conjunction with the
carrier, i suppose?) to release code which could modify this setting?
(Even with WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission, my application[*] is not
allowed to create or modify this setting.)

2) It is possible to modify this value on rooted phones by directly
accessing the "secure" table in the corresponding database. However,
when this value is changed, I have noticed the following oddness
(which to me sounds like a bug):

    i) When the phone is connected to the carrier's network (not
wifi), it appears that (all?) applications honour the HTTP_PROXY
setting (e.g. it appears gmail and various browsers work just fine
through ConnectBot)

   ii) However, when the phone is connected wirelessly (wifi), most,
if not all, applications will ignore the value of HTTP_PROXY. For my
tests, it appears that Dolphin Browser sends the first two requests
via the configured proxy, and then all subsequent requests go direct.

Does anyone have an answer to this? Can we expect this to change? Or
do we need to ask developers of HTTP based applications to change
their code?

Thanks for reading,

Tor

[*] http://www.bogus.net/~torh/android/SetProxy.apk /