In case anyone is interested (I might be saving your life here) I had
the error - R.xml cannot be resolved - no visible solution - on a GLS
project. hmmmm. After looking in R.java I found an auto generated
class XML.java (I think) was not there and should have been. I guessed
the solution - impossible to work it out exactly yourself!

Solution? It needed a new folder in res: res\xml and a file called
default_values.xml in there. Then all OK.

Just in case you have not got that file its:

(less than) ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"? (greater than)

(less than) PreferenceScreen xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/
apk/res/android" (greater than)

(less than/) PreferenceScreen (greater than)