That's a good question. First, I don't think J2ME is going to give you much
insight, you might as well just start with Android. If you have done OOP in
PHP, that would help. Unfortunately, the Android SDK relies on some advanced
Java techniques such as template classes, generics, and inner classes. And,
since it's a networked mobile device, some basic understanding of TCP/IP and
HTTP helps.

That said, just start with the tutorials and API Demos. I would say to even
hand type the code instead of copy and pasting it. I can't off-hand
recommend a good Java book, but that ought to help as well.