call execute() to allow AsyncTask to properly schedule a call to your doInBackground() in an appropriate thread.

calling doInBackground() yourself will just invoke the code you intended to be run in the background thread all right, but it will do it synchronously in your current thread.

or put another way, can you point to the piece of code in your snippet which deals with any other threads at all? ;-)

AsyncTask is *wonderful*

hth

Thanks Streets.  That appears to be the issue, however it's odd that
I'm hitting AsyncTask's thread pool limit so quickly with just 3 tasks
running.  Looking at AsyncTask's code, I see these values:

private static final int CORE_POOL_SIZE = 1;
private static final int MAXIMUM_POOL_SIZE = 10;

While the core pool size is 1, I should still get up to 10 threads.
Instead I seem to only be getting 1.

jason.vp.engineering.particle