I found issues with the gluUnProject as well.
I wrote a new one for my own app (The Gube) and it works very well. I
use gluUnproject for tracking 2D finger-touches and flings into the 3D
model-view/space.

You can do a gluUnproject search on this forum and you will find this:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/9d2bf53e3a798cb6/07cfa3ee11507fc1?lnk=gst&q=gluunproject#07cfa3ee11507fc1

Go to message# 8, which contiains the source control.