I had trouble with this too. The solution is to use support-screens to
enable anyDensity=true. Simply setting "targetSdkVersion" to something
>= 4 also works, since this makes anyDensity=true the default.

I would have assumed that the SDK that you build against automatically
is considered the target, but apparently, this is not so. I've been
building against SDK level 5, and without explicitly setting
targetSdkVersion had the exact problem as you.

Michael