I can assure you that's what I believed, expected, and still want to
believe! And yet, supplying, at the same line of code, to the exact
same view, an BitmapDrawable vs a NinePatchDrawable, produced
dramatically different results.

You'll have to see a demo app to believe it. Hopefully, I'll just end
up with egg on my face for even mentioning it prematurely, but it was
hard to convince myself, too.

Thanks for letting me know the other problem was fixed. Do you know
offhand what versions it existed in, or should I go searching for the
bug report? (Though it seems people have been rather lax about
reporting just WHEN things were introduced and fixed. Since we seem to
still have platforms stuck at 1.5, that becomes rather important
information. Fortunately, my workaround is relatively innocuous).

It took an awful lot to convince myself THAT bug was real, too.