Did you check if you service is being destroyed (onDestroy) or being
killed (entire service process is being killed by Android) and re-
created later at points in your code that are unexpected?

Put break-points in your service's onCreate, onDestroy and onBind and
see what's going on.

Another question: Do you run your service in a different process or in
the same process as your Activities?