I am trying to capture my activity to handle HOME button press with a
receiver programmatically, but the event is not firing.  I can,
however, successfully register and capture this intent filter if I
declare it in a manifest.xml  activity section.  Here's the code for
the receiver:

BroadcastReceiver br;

br = new BroadcastReceiver() {
        @Override
        public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {
                return;  // I put a breakpoint here to see if this gets called
        }
};

IntentFilter intf = new IntentFilter();
intf.addAction(Intent.ACTION_MAIN);
intf.addCategory(Intent.CATEGORY_HOME);
intf.addCategory(Intent.CATEGORY_DEFAULT);

registerReceiver(br, intf);

Does anyone know why this doesn't capture the home button click?

By the way, I tried working around this by creating another activity
and specifying its intent filter in the manifest.  I set the activity
enabled="false" in the manifest but I couldn't figure out how to
enable that activity at run time.  Bottom line, I only want to
register the home button intent filter for my application only when my
application is running, and I can't figure out how to do that.