The four stages of Android UI Enlightenment:

0) You dutifully use getApplicationContext() his Activity to pass
along to the SDK.
1) You realize you don't NEED to call getApplicationContext() from
your Activity to pass along, 'this' should work.
2) You realize it is WRONG to call getApplicationContext() from your
Activity to pass along, because that's not the right context to pass
along -- your Activity is.
3) You wonder why the documentation and various failing examples keep
saying to use getApplicationContext()?
4) I am still stuck at stage 3. Can you enlighten me?

Really, can't someone take a half-hour and go through all the
occurrences of getApplicationContext() in documentation, Javadoc, and
examples, and fix them? Except for the Javadoc for
getApplicationContext(), nearly all occurrences should probably be
'this'.