I'm still trying to figure out how best to layer views on top of other
views. I want to do something like the ZoomButtons on top of a custom
view. I tried getting the ZoomButtonsController's parent and then
adding views, but I didn't have enough control and they ended up on
top of the buttons.

I've gotten close by using a FrameLayout and some gravity on the top
two views. But this has some interesting effects. Since this is
contained with a tab, these two top views appear on top of all four of
the tab pages. I want them on top of one of those pages only.
Apparently, nested FrameLayouts don't mix well.

What is the proper and expected way to do this?

Here is more or less my complete layout, in case that helps.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TabHost xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
        android:id="@android:id/tabhost" android:layout_width="fill_parent"
        android:layout_height="fill_parent">
        <LinearLayout android:orientation="vertical"
                android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent">
                <TabWidget android:id="@android:id/tabs"
                        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content" />
                <FrameLayout android:id="@android:id/tabcontent"
                        <LinearLayout android:id="@+id/map_panel"
                                android:orientation="vertical"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                                android:layout_height="fill_parent">

                                <FrameLayout android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                                        android:layout_height="fill_parent">

                                        <MyCustomView
                                                android:id="@+id/view_map"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"