Hey..
   Any luck??
   Even if you add your project files (xml & java) into the packages
directory [where launcher, settings...etc apps sit], you will have to
enlist it in the generic.mk file and build, for the system to consider
it as a system application. The correct path is what Rogerio has given
above.
Let us know if u could resolve it or have already cracked it :-)

Cheers!