I just tested this out, and it seems like it does work (that is,
draw() IS getting called after a zoom).  And, it doesn't seem to be
hogging on system resources, calling draw repeatedly.  So all in all,
I'd say it's a workable workaround, though a cleaner interface in the
API would be more convenient.

Thanks!