Another cause of an App not appearing for some devices can be that the
developer hasn't adapted the App for that device. From the 1.6 on, you
can explicitly configure the App descriptor for an App to work only in
certain devices with determined min and max Android SDK versions,
screen sizes and densities. For example I have released several apps
and I had problems at the beginning because I hadn't explicitly
allowed the App to run on small screens so my App didn't appear in HTC
Tattoo devices Market. Recently I also had to modify my Apps
descriptors to support SDK version 7 so the appear in Nexus Ones.

For further info, take a look at this:
http://dev.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html
http://dev.android.com/guide/appendix/api-levels.html