JP wrote:
> Yeah, it would be desirable to also get a more sophisticated view
> model. Ideally one that allows the reuse of whatever dynamic was
> developed for the main app, in the spirit of polymorphism. But here we
> are, and the current model won't change, I take that for certain.

If you want something updating on the home screen every second, write
your own home screen, so it can all stay within a single process.

>> I could tweak
>> the 30 minute update time but it doesn't helps too much - the
>> appwidget framework is simply too slow with all that serialization and
>> would eat too much CPU.

Correct. That's because Android is trying to blend both features (app
widgets) and security.

>> What other solutions can be used?

You could write your own home screen.

>> I've seen that a system service (LoadAverageService for example) would
>> do the job but that one is not really configurable, has to be compiled
>> into Android so I kinda don't like it. The same is valid with custom
>> app screens or any other solution which needs an custom Android build.

Your own home screen does not need to be part of a custom build.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Warescription: Three Android Books, Plus Updates, One Low Price!