this list is really amazing.

first the gmail change in april stopped the list copy of the message reaching gmail recipients, so people don't know whether their post made it. i think gmail assumes that any message from the same address is its own copy that it uses for conversation tracking. either way, it used to work, now it doesn't.

then i had to sign up for a new gmail account because my regular one flat-out wouldn't work with the android lists at all after april or so. no go. no idea why, and no list support at all.

then it was time for random list latency -- up to a week in some cases. this was ascribed to human moderation overload etc.

then despite all the moderation etc we get truckloads of spam. how many copies of the islamic manifesto made it through, some even with BINARY attachments? there should be a no-attachment rule here, IMHO.

not to mention all the other issues people have seen.

i moderate a few Yahoo lists, no problems. i thought Google could run a list, seems not.

There were some times this past week when almost  all messages were
dropped even for long time members of the group - mst of the message
gettinr through were from google employees.  You could see the number
of messages drop from a dozen an hour to a 1 an hour (or roughly that
ratio).  I tried posting a question on the help forum.  No response of
any kind.  Eventually after a few hours it started working again.
This happened at least on two different days in the last week.  It's
not that big a deal - but it does kind of make you wonder about
quality control or system reliability or user support or all of the
above for google groups...

--
jason.vp.engineering.particle