I need multiple notifications to appear in the dropdown notifier window.
But when I add multiple notifications, multiple icons appear in the status
bar. It
is possible to have a red number overlaid on the icon, but in order to do
this,
one must apparently overwrite earlier notifications, losing that needed
information.
I can have multiple icons, each with a overlaid "1", but that defeats the
purpose
of the overlay. I saw the "tag" argument, thinking clearly that it is
supposed to
solve exactly this problem. But "tag" seems to have no effect, so I am
not sure of its purpose now.

How do I have multiple notifications represented by a single overlaid red
number on
one icon, which matches the number of notifications in the dropdown, without
losing them?

P. V. Nasby