Manoj,

I've tried twice to post an answer, but I still don't see it.  It may
be because this is my first post, and it's in the process of being
moderated, but just in case, I'll try a third time.

Does this work for you (SDK 2.1):

//
//  Find contact based on name.
//
ContentResolver cr = getContentResolver();
Cursor cursor = cr.query(ContactsContract.Contacts.CONTENT_URI, null,
"DISPLAY_NAME = '" + NAME + "'", null, null);
if (cursor.moveToFirst()) {
    String contactId =
cursor.getString(cursor.getColumnIndex(ContactsContract.Contacts._ID));

Jay