You could simply post (to a View or a Handler) a Runnable from
onCreate() to do this. You can also try to do it from onStart().

Activity.onWindowFocusChanged() is definitely NOT the right place.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Chopcsu <st...@kilsby.com.au> wrote:
> I am trying to make a PopupWindow show straight away when an activity
> has started.
>
> when calling
> public void showAtLocation (View parent, int gravity, int x, int y)
>
>  I get the exception
>  ERROR/AndroidRuntime(2500): Caused by: android.view.WindowManager
> $BadTokenException: Unable to add window -- token null is not valid;
> is your activity running?
>
> At the moment I am calling from onCreate, but when calling from
> onStart or onResume it still gives the same error.
>
> The activity api says the activity is supposed to be running after
> onResume is called. Where is the best place to load up the PopupWindow
> if it needs to be done straight away?
>

> At the moment It looks like Activity.onWindowFocusChanged() is the
> best place.

Romain Guy
Android framework engineer
romain...@android.com

to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on