I have requested clarification from Google on the proposed release
date for paid apps on Android Market in Canada, but my queries have
gone unanswered.

Now the Motorola Milestone/Droid is available here, you would think
the matter would have been resolved. But no.

The salespeople offering the Milestone seem unaware of the problem and
one repeatedly and erroneously assured me that paid apps were already
available here.