I have a Nexus One that has never had a SIM installed... I enabled its
GPS and took it outside. It took a while to get a location (as is
expected without A-GPS), but it was able to get a fix. When I walked
within range of a WiFi I attach to, Google Maps then displayed my
accurate location on a map.

Note: On this device, I've not even entered my Google account
information; I just skipped that part of the initial device power-on.