This is not an update issue. This is a fragmenation issue.

Application developers decide, depending on their resources (money and
time), to support only particular or all versions of the Android OS
for their apps.

Fragmentation is the problem here, since handset/phone makers still
bring out phones with old OS versions and are hesitant to update
existing ones.

Some fragmentation will be inevitable. Some phones just don't have the
hardware to deal with certain applications. They're too slow, screen
is too small, no GPU, etc. Phones, like many other gadgets, get old
very quickly.