This does not work either, the returned ID is always 0. The items for
which I am trying to retrieve an ID are in res/values/array.xml and
defined as:

<string-array name="itemName">
   <item> value1 @ value2  </item>
   <item> value3 @ value3  </item>
</string-array>

The user would have selected from another string-array one of the
itemName, the code knows the itemName and I would like to insert it
into a getResources().getStringArray to retrieve more info on the
item.

I tried the following with different combination of packageName but
either crash or return id = 0
String packageName = "com.coname.appname:itemName";
int itemsid=getResources().getIdentifier( packageName, null, null);

The version below also returns 0.
int itemid1 = getIdentifier("R.array."+itemName[listaa_position],
"array", getPackageName());

Thanks for any pointers.