OK no answer but luckily someone else answered a similar question
<http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/
thread/45ee1e08b545f059> - for future reference, yes, it's simply that
the sd card is not browsable while it's mounted on usb. "Unmount the
card, tell Android (via the Notification) to stop making the card
available, wait for the card to be remounted *within Android*, then"
carry on.

Thanks
Dan