U can use bundle also in passing that variable values.....
In 1st activity
    Bundle bundle = new Bundle();
    bundle.putString(”param1″, “test”);

    Intent newIntent = new Intent(this.getApplicationContext(),
ActivityClass2.class);
    newIntent.putExtras(bundle);
    startActivity(newIntent);

In ActivityClass2, we can read this parameter using

    Bundle bundle = this.getIntent().getExtras();
    String param1 = bundle.getString(”param1″);