You can use a level 4 or higher build target, so that you can use the
new attributes, but still set minSdkVersion to 3 and run on older
phones. You do have to be careful not to use new methods on the older
phones, however. This is generally done via reflection, or checking
values like Build.VERSION.SDK before using a class that uses new
methods. There's a blog post re this:
http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/backward-compatibility.html