I've got a fairly unique situation:
   -I'm a teacher with a magnet school that focuses on rocketry and
technology.
   -I've got a rocket payload that has a video overlay board which
does the following:
                    -Takes input from a camera.
                    -Takes input from a serial data line.
                    -Overlays the text input to the video screen in
real time and saves to avi.

    -Right now we're using this antiquated device called an Arduino
board which
     is cave man stuff compared to the developer phones we have on
campus.
     (It's very educational making one work, but still old hardware.)

    -The Arduino processor essentially outputs data to a 'transmit'
pin that can
     be easily hooked up to a pc serial port.  (Serial Data.)

    -My present course of inquiry: (I'm a fairly proficient Android
developer)

--------------------------------------
          -Can I write a program that outputs a simple string like
this directly to the usb data cable:
                            String aString = "abc";
                               ---------------------------------------
                 -From there, would it be possible to purchase a usb
to serial converter and
                  grab the associated data off the correct serial pin?

     -I'm not an electrical engineer by any means, but I think that a
serial
      converter would have to boost the voltage from the USB line
      in order to work because usb voltages are lower than what
      comes straight out the serial port.
              -Does this sound like a correct assumption?

   -Any advice is appreciated. We'd love to launch a smart phone at
our next competition.

Thanks in advance
Josh Beck
Northeast ISD