I should add that yes, I could write my own parent widget.

However, I really think this is a bug in Spinner. Using it with
RelativeView leads to it basically ignoring the layout parameters.
Anomalies like this make the toolkit that much harder and more
frustrating to use.

Is this a known bug? I don't see one on it. Is there something I'm
missing?

As a workaround, I think that rather than reimplementing RelativeView,
a wrapper view around the Spinner that imposes the layout constraints
properly to/from the child would be better. Or perhaps a subclass of
Spinner with the bug fixed...

It isn't clear to me if the problem is with the measure or the layout
pass. It doesn't appear to be due to failure to relayout on change,
since I wasn't able to change the behavior by forcing a relayout.

Anyway, incorporating the additional stuff directly into the adapter's
views was a simpler approach for me than handling the layout myself,
and had some UI advantages as well.

I wonder if ListView's have the same problem?