I've been a professional programmer since 1975.  A lot of my
programming was done without unit testing.   I now think that was a
mistake.

I'm fond of saying that programming is both really easy and impossibly
difficult.   Testing is a good example of this.

But it depends on the size and complexity of what you are trying to
do.   There is a size of program that can be successfully written
without them.   And if you are the only consumer of the code you
write, it's less important.

But here's the thing.   If I come back to code six months later or a
year later, I might forget all the requirements of that code.  I might
forget where one change I made affects other things.   If I have a
good test suite, that memory loss will show up as a test failure.
And when problems that are exposed at the time they are made are
inherently easier to fix.

But if I'm writing demos, scripts, or 1000-line one-offs, that never
happens.   So it isn't worth it.    Big, complicated systems should
never be done without them.   I've done it, and I regret it.   I've
known those places in the code that I don't want to touch, for fear of
breaking things that would take days to sort out.  Since then, I've
used unit testing on medium sized projects and love it.    A really
solid set of unit tests lets you feel much more free to refactor
constantly.    So those nasty places cease to exist.