If anyone finds this question, there is a response here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2448103/drawpostext-in-android-graphics-canvas-what-is-origin

"If you're in left alignment, the text origin is the bottom left
corner. If you're in center alignment, the text is centered
horizontally and the origin is bottom center.

You can get the height of the text with

Math.abs(p.ascent()) + p.descent()

where p is your Paint."