Let's say I have some views stacked inside a LinearLayout:

[LinearLayout vertical]
       [ListView weight=1 so it fills the space]
       [EditText]
       [SomeRowOfButtons]

I want the "SomeRowOfButtons" to be hidden initially.  When the
EditText gets focus I want to animate SomeRowOfButtons in, and when
EditText loses focus, animate SomeRowOfButtons out.

I've tried translations, ViewSwitchers, etc., but the issue with those
is that it carves out space for the row and never expands the rest of
the parent LinearLayout to fill the space.  If there were a way I
could tell the parent to lay out as the animation changes, that might
work.  Is there some sort of "animation value changed" listener I
could apply?

I can set the bottomMargin of SomeRowOfButtons to be negative which
effectively hides it and expands the rest of the UI.  However, I can't
figure out how to animate the bottom margin.

Anyhow, if there's a best practice around this, I'm all ears.  I say
that because I've pulled out all my hair trying to solve it, and now
my ears look huge. ;)

Thanks!