thanks for the response. what "times" would i ensure are in sync? i thought that phones these days managed their own times.

also, i'm really confused about why this would affect only DNS requests made by broadcast receivers. wouldn't a timing issue affect all DNS requests? unless... the UI libraries do some fixups [fx: barf]

i wonder whether this has anything to do with the Android kernel being 18 months out of date (IIRC) and the DST change coming in only *last* year.

baffled of SF!

Check that times are sync'd - I've seen some issues before where out-of-sync clocks caused DNS errors.