Indeed as Robert said and as I mentioned in the question I did not
want to use Canvas operations as it is just too slow especially if any
other animation is running at the same time or could run as the result
of some user input such as a slide up menu or animated swirl.

Thanks for your suggestion Robert I am now looking at picking up the
books you mentioned also I see Google just officially released the ES
2.0 supports yesterday so like you said best not to pick up a dated
book.

Tom