I am trying the same thing, and failing as you are to use
abortBroadcast() to avoid having Camera launch.

One thing you should note:  999 is apparently the highest priority a
non-system app should use on its intent filters.  However, 999 did not
help me get there before Camera (apparently).

I will note that Button Shortcut apparently does this successfully.  I
wonder if Button Shortcut is alphabetically "less than" Camera.  My
app it alphabetically "greater".

Are you sure that this is an unordered broadcast?

tone