I've found something a bit different. Yes, you'll always get 1 star
sucks comments on a widget, but what i've done is driven users to
contact me or consult a help page i set up and explain exactly how to
use a widget. This "exactly" is still relative to the user, but from
past experiences there are often complaints that "The widget is small
and doesn't update", which after several email conversations with
users i realised, means that they dragged the app to the home screen
thinking it'd become a widget. Maybe Google should consider adding an
option when you drag a launcher from a widget to the homescreen to ask
if you want the widget or the shortcut, especially considering the
occasional "Sucks" on their Buzz widget - amongst other issues. My
ongoing contact with users about what they want and how to improve the
existing widget is what's kept my ratings high. That 1 star user base
won't stay so i tried to focus on looking after the people who would
stay and give 5 stars. Seems to work well, some of them even bought
the donate version of my widget after i had helped them. Another big
issue that i find gets in the way, is the 325 character limit. That
really hurts, because most of my explanation is compensating for
platform problems:

"Problems? Help on dev site! Didn't help? EMAIL ME, i'll fix it!

IF STOPS UPDATING, CHECK IF A TASK MANAGER IS KILLING IT!

Cyanogen Mod may kill it aggressively.

USE: LONG PRESS HOMESCREEN, SELECT WIDGET"

The biggest thing that still gets to me, is the users who refund a $1
donate version of something when the free version is also in the
market. Why not just install the free version if you're too cheap to
pay $1, at least my ratings will stay up. I like the refund system,
but sometimes i question the mentality of the users.