Thanks.  Mine works now.

There was no 3G icon.  I first tried the airplane mode and turned off
wifi.  After turning off airplane mode, there was a warning sign
saying "lost data connectivity ...leaving home network".  Then I
enabled data roaming. 3G is working now.  :-)

Just one more questions.  There is always an empty triangle icon (or
symbol "Delta") in the status bar.  Does your phone have it? What does
it mean?