It's strange that it already had been activated....

I received a free droid about 2 months ago (and i just received
another one) and it had a one-month subscription. If the month runs
out, the 'signal' indicator will still indicate that all is fine and
dandy (you can still call 911), but as soon as you try to make a call
or access the internet, you won't succeed (error messages)

The one month subscription is a bit longer than one month, though. I
could use my previous Droid for about 6 weeks before they shut the
voice and data down for my phone.

If you want to extend the contract for longer, just give Verizon
customer service a call (before the month's up).