I'm having an issue using Messaging apps on the device (have tried
native + other apps) when my locale is set to Arabic.  As soon as I
compose a new message and hit send, I get an error saying Messaging
Stopped Unexpectedly.  From the logcat:

V/Telephony(  756): getOrCreateThreadId uri:
content://mms-sms/threadID?recipient=XXXXXXX
E/DatabaseUtils(  175): Writing exception to parcel
E/DatabaseUtils(  175): android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: no
such column: ٠: , while compiling: SELECT _id FROM
canonical_addresses WHERE address=? OR PHONE_NUMBERS_EQUAL(address, ?,
٠)
E/DatabaseUtils(  175):         at
android.database.sqlite.SQLiteProgram.native_compile(Native Method)

At first I thought it may be an encoding issue, but it's looking
likely that it may just be a bug?  When setting my locale to English
or anything else, it works just fine, even if using the Arabic soft
keyboard.  Also, this only manifests itself when creating a new
message; if I have an existing thread and go to reply to it, it works
just fine, even with Arabic locale.

Any ideas on a workaround?

Thanks!