I've searched through the postings and believe this is a unique case
where it is appropriate to ask for feedback. Take the following
example:

Program contains 3 activities : A, B, C
and one service: S

The launch of the activities is as follows:

B->C
S->A

Therefore activity B and C are part of a separate execution than what
the service launches (activity A).

The problem:

User launches B from the launcher, navigates to C and presses the
'home' key (the history stack is now B->C). Sometime in the future the
service launches activity A, and upon exiting activity A the user is
now presented with activity C which is not the desired intent.

Using "no history" is not an option on B/C because I want the user to
be able to navigate 'back' from C to B. My question to the forum is
how to setup the project such that when A is launched, the activity
stack is always A, and not B->C->A or B->A.