Well, only the accelerometer might not be useful in this scenario. You
should also think on the lines of orientation. If you use only the
accelerometer, obviously you will not get consistent results. Say, if
someone is sleeping or turned up side down. :)

Try searching for some examples. I am sure you will find some.

Thanks and Regards,
Kumar Bibek