Gravity gives you one frame of reference -- and the compass gives you
another.

If you're just spinning, this is enough to give you 3D orientation.
However, it is trickier if you are also accelerating. Let's say you
accelerate horizontally at 1G. To the sensors, that will look the same
as accelerating vertically at sqrt(2)*G, with the device oriented at a
45 degree angle. That's not fatal -- you know the orientation before
the acceleration started, and can make some assumptions about maximum
slew rate, etc. -- but it does mean you'll be accumulating error, need
to continuously recalibrate, etc.

I don't now how good a job you can do; I hope to experiment and find
out soon, but other things keep appearing on my queue... It will
require close monitoring off the sensors, and thus a lot of power.

I really wish they'd put rate gyros on cell phones -- or at least a
full set of accelerometers at diagonally opposite corners of the
device. Rate gyros are better than "angular accelerometers", because
they tell you the rate of rotation, not just the rate of change of
rotation. One less integration = better accuracy and a built-in zero
reference for the rate of rotation.