You may want to pause at this point, and consider whether this is
REALLY what you want to do.

There are major limitations involved with using object serialization
this way, that affect you both now and in the future, and you have to
think VERY carefully about the implications of both.

The object you serialize now can only be read by a system with the
appropriate classes available. If you make changes to those classes,
you have to take specific measures to maintain compatibility. This is
a bit tricky, and can limit the nature and extent of your changes in
the future.

Further, you it will cost you time and effort to maintain this code,
and to test and verify compatibility, with greater risk of failure to
detect problems.

Clearly, these problems are worse the longer your serialized objects
will exist.

Often, a better strategy is to define an XML format as your transport
protocol. This doesn't completely negate all these issues, of course,
but it does allow you to inspect what's going on, and to apply various
standard tools (such as XSLT) for converting and upgrading objects.

You can persist this XML, or you can in turn treat it as just a
transport mechanism, and persist as relations in a database. Or you
can map from XML to objects (and optionally, objects to relational
database).

ObjectOutputStream gives you an EXTREMELY tight and opaque coupling
between the code on each side. It is usually to your advantage to use
a looser coupling and more transparency. Especially in a client-server
situation where you don't have control over when clients are upgraded.

"A moment of convenience, a lifetime of regret!"