Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Is that a coincidence or does startForeground() mess
>     with the thread's prio or does anything else but what is written below?

Quoting myself:

"...but a persistent concern for game developers on Android is the
impacts that external forces have on their frame rates. For example, a
year ago, the big concern was garbage collection going on in other
processes -- garbage collection takes CPU time, even if that work is
being done in a totally separate Linux process from the game itself.

To counteract this, the core Android team made some improvements in
Android 1.6, relegating all background processing to a class that is
capped in terms of CPU utilization, leveraging some Linux process and
thread control frameworks. Garbage collection in those background
processes will no longer hog the CPU. Hence, games can run with minimal
interference...so long as background processing stays in the background."

(from
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/16/code-pollution-background-foreground/)

I suspect that startForeground() means the service will run with
foreground priority, rather than residing in the background process class.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in NYC: 30 April-2 May 2010: http://guruloft.com