I have a service that runs continuously. I opted to run the service in
a separate process, communicating through IPC with the client
activities, thinking this will help conserve memory. If the user is
done interacting, Android could shut down the entire client side
process.

However, the protocol between the service and activities is actually a
bit complex, and writing all that IPC code is a bit tiresome.

Is there actually any gain here? if Android frees the memory of
finished Activities anyway, is there any benefit to using a separate
process, or is it maybe making things worse, even?

What about a stopped activity stack (i.e. the user leaving through
HOME)? If there are two processes, Android could shut down the client
side to regain memory. With a single process, would it need to choose
between either ending keeping the saved activity state in memory, or
ending the process including the service?

I can't help but notice that no other app seems to use a remote
process, including builtin one's like Google Talk or the Music Player.
I'm I correct in assuming that this is the recommended approach then?

Michael