According to earlier posts, it has been suggested that the
Accelerometer will no longer run in the background when the screen
turns off and the phone goes into standby unless a partial wake lock
is held:

See:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/9787faee6f36a4fe

I was wondering if, perhaps, there was any change in stance on this
issue?  My app is currently holding a partial wake lock in order to
continue receiving values from the accelerometer when the screen is
off.  Obviously I would much prefer not to have to hold the wake lock
in order to continue reading those values.  It is causing a problem
for many users who are running more intensive applications in the
background.  Holding the wake lock seems to be what is allowing the
battery to drain, while the impact from just reading the accelerometer
is minimal.  I have tested on a few different devices without TOO much
running in the background and I can't really notice any difference in
battery life.

It seems like this requirement to hold the wake lock only makes the
situation worse.  I would love to hear your thoughts!  Any chance this
can be changed in the future?

Thanks!