On Apr 16, 1:42 pm, Justin Giles <jtgi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There were reports, albeit old reports (November/December 2009 timeframe)
> that having copy protection turned on could cause your app to not be visible
> in the market on all devices.

This does continue to be the case, apparently due to Google being lax
about adding new devices' "fingerprints" to the Market database. If
the Market doesn't know about a given device, it won't show copy-
protected apps. Currently, this seems to be the case for the HTC
Desire, and possibly other handsets:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=72687bc93eba9a1b&hl=en

IOW, if you turn on copy protection, users of some new devices won't
see your app until Google gets around to updating the database.

On the other side of the coin, copy protection does provide SOME
defense against users pirating your app. It's far from perfect - for
users in the know, it's pretty easy to circumvent. Real app pirates do
this all the time; "copy protection" is essentially NO protection as
far as they're concerned. But IMO it is sufficient to keep average,
non-technical users from passing out copies to all their friends.

For free apps, I don't see any advantage to copy protection. For paid
apps, it's a judgement call: Enable it and lose some sales to people
who can't see it on the Market, or disable it and lose some sales to
people sharing your app rather than paying for it. It's a lose/lose
situation, but I have no idea which is the lesser of the two evils.
It's your call.

String