Mike,

If I implemented what you are proposing where the game "Backs off" as
other processes want CPU, the game would choke itself down to 10FPS
while your email is being retrieved.  Wanna know what kind of user
feedback that would create?  I'll tell you:

1 star - Game sucks and lags hard.  Don't get it.

I don't think that's the experience people want.  People keep asking
for "real" games on the platform but "real" games are games with
better graphics, better AI, more physics, run faster and smoother,
etc...  That means even more CPU and GPU. Those games can't have
2000ms periods of time with half CPU like what we get right now with
sync on.  Users don't know why the game sucks for those 2 seconds.
They almost always assume it's the game, not the platform and not the
mail app.

BTW - I'm generally GPU-bound on these phones anyhow.  I hardly use
1-2 milliseconds of CPU on the Droid or N1 and you can still see the
choppiness during sync.  That says something is WRONG in my book and
it's not my max 2ms updates.