I find that most of my problems are device or user specific issues.
So to be useful, the unit tests would have to run on the actual
hardware used by consumers, and would have to emulate the behavior of
real users.

Years ago, when I had to write a small bit of generic java code for
server side logging, reporting, and metrics, that was going to be used
for lots of different purposes, we used test driven development, and I
was glad for the experience.

So basically, I suggest you use the right tool to ensure the right
level of quality for each specific project.